Saturday, January 12, 2008

Up

I interviewed someone last summer who said that volunteering is one of the best things you can do when life isn't as full or as happy as you'd like it to be. It's a statement that has relaly stuck with me. Volunteering, even in the smallest way, is something we should all do regardless of how our lives our going, but it is especially necessary when you need to put things in perspective, and helping others is one of the best ways to go about it.

Through www.volunteermatch.org (a site I've used in Oregon and now Montana) I found a great program at Bridger Bowl Ski area that works with mentally handicapped kids and adults to teach them how to ski. Volunteers work two hours once a week with a student for eight weeks, giving the kids an opportunity to learn a new skill, get some exercise and have fun. Today was the first day of the two-day training for volunteers and I was thrilled to meet so many nice, enthusiastic people. Hopefully I'll begin working with students next week.

In the meantime, I'm pleasantly pooped from a day of getting reacquainted with my 'skiing legs' (to be honest, that took a bit of effort) and learning all about how to teach mentally handicapped kids. With the exception of the disturbing lack of espresso at the lodge, the day was fabulous and I had such a great time. I'm really looking forward to getting back up there again tomorrow and in the weeks ahead.

And now I need to go flop down on my bed, close my eyes, and dream of perfect turns, followed by equally perfect lattes...

Night 'all,
NC

No comments: