Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Two Degrees ABOVE Zero

Okay, I know it's cold here and I know I shouldn't be so shocked by this (really--I do know that I am in Wyoming) but it's only two degrees today! That's freaking cold. On the upside, the snow and ice make for some pretty gorgeous sunrises.

When it gets below twenty degrees outside a belt in the ceiling above my room begins to rattle and subsequently makes the fire extinguisher head squeak. It's loud enough to wake me up at night so to remedy the situation I climbed up on a chair with a small bit of cardboard from a cereal box and wedged it between the space where the sprinkler head meets the ceiling. I don't know why it works, but it does. And while I do realize that messing around with the sprinkler system may not be the best idea (and might even be illegal) a girl does need her sleep. [And Mitch, if you're reading this, no, throwing a shoe at the ceiling does NOT work; it only leaves scuff marks on the ceiling that I'll now have to explain to Lindsay]

So today at lunch I was taking a moment to cram some more things into boxes and bags when Dave, one of the maintenance guys where I live, poked his head in my door.

"Room inspection."

"Haha--very funny."

"No, seriously. The Fire Marshall is here to inspect the rooms and sprinkler heads."

I look around the corner, and sure enough, here comes the inspector, clipboard in hand. Shit! I immediately look up at the sprinkler head with it's cardboard embellishment and do a running leap to knock it from it's perch and turn around just in time to look nonchalant as the Fire Marshall walks in.

Okay, so maybe this wasn't my finest moment, but I was not about to pay a hefty fine for tampering with a sprinkler system! And it was pretty funny to see Dave turn bright red from trying not to laugh ;-)

Song of the day: Move Along by The All-American Rejects

Cheers,
NC

No comments: